Sunday, March 12, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday : Sense-less Art

Copyright 2006 Ratlion

Over at Inspire Me Thurs, this week's challenge is to create something without using your senses. Here's how I went about doing it...

Vision (Sight) : Worked with my eyes closed for the most part. Drew in the basic pencil drawing with my eyes closed (and was very surprised with what I ended up with). Filled in areas with water colour pencils..again with my eye's closed (Just spread the colour pencils around...picked colours at random and tried filling the surface...all with my eye's closed).

Feelings (Touch) : Certainly had no idea about the outcome or any expectations at the outset. Just went with the flow.

Hear (Listen) : This was perhaps the hardest criteria of all. Forget my inner critic, initially it was just hard to ignore my brain telling me to open my eyes and just see what I was doing. The inner critic did surface later, when I'd finished applying water on the pencil colouring...all I had was a dull muddy mix of colours. Not good, the inner critic screamed. I ignored him/her. Also ignored my conscience telling me to go finsih my chores. Which I will have to get to as soon as I'm done uploading this .

Tastes (Taste) : Used watercolour pencils and markers on this challenge - two mediums I hardly ever use.

Smell : No specific smell was involved, except the slight whiff of the markers towards the end. But they hardly lasted for 5 seconds anyway.

Once the pencil drawing and colouring was done with my eyes closed, I outlined everything with a blue marker. A few details in the hair and flower as well as the blue border were added at the end to balance things out.

5 Comments:

Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

I really enjoyed what you came up with for your senseless challenge as well - Your explanations are great. And it still turned out beautiful even with your eyes closed!

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job! Even the colors and all with your eyes closed! I really like the squiggly hair.

2:26 AM  
Blogger firstborn studio said...

i adore this piece!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

This is great...kind of Picasso-ish! Do you suppose he worked with his eyes closed too? Great response to the challenge...
e

7:24 PM  
Blogger carla said...

I love how this turned out...it certainly has the look of a blind contour drawing, but italso has a Matisse-like feeling to it. The lightness of the background provides a nice contrast to the strong blue outline. This turned out great...looks like you "knew" what you were doing all along:>

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?