Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday : Five Senses

Hello.

This week's Inspire me Thursday challenge was to create a piece of art using all the five senses - sight, sound, touch, taste and smell.



Well, I went more than a little crazy with this one. I think I've used every kind of material I could lay my hands on.

To start at the beginning, while brainstorming on ideas, I decided to do something on a quote I liked. Then came the process of trying and seeing what kind of images the quote conjured in my mind's eye. After I'd pinned down what I was going to do, I drew a rough sketch on canvas and set to work. The lady was drawn on a piece of white cardpaper and cut out. Her skin was painted with tea and shading was added using colour pencils. Her hair was done using dry pastels and her dress was drawn and cut-out in tracing paper and glued on to her. Oh, and those wings are cut out of an old newspaper.

Before I painted the background entirely with oil paints, I rubbed a little glue onto it and sprinkled some salt around for texture. After painting in the sky, the clouds and the rays, I used a fork to scratch the paint a bit for even more texture. For about five seconds, this was even done with one eye closed :D. Also attempted to use lemon as a kind of stamp on the background (and in the process almost ruined the entire thing) . The biggest star was cut out of thermacol, glued on and filled in with glitter, while glitter was directly applied to the smaller stars. And finally, the quote was added in black paint.

This is how I think it fulfills the 'five senses' criteria :

SEE: Trying to see what images the qoute evoked in my mind's eye (visializing the concept), Making the scratches with an eye closed (:D Yes, I really tried that!)...

TOUCH: Plenty of texture here - oil paint, different kinds of paper, salt, scratches, colour pencils, rubbing the pastels in...

SMELL: The smell of the tea I used to paint, glue , turpentine and linseed oil (used as medium for the oil paint)...

SOUND: I hereby declare that I tore and ripped the paper for the dress, and definitely scratched the piece of art. Even listened to music the whole time.

TASTE: Used tea to paint and drunk tea while painting, used salt for texture and lemon as a kind of stamp (don't ask!).

The whole thing was completed in about 4-5 hours (with breaks in between) on Sunday, but hav'nt had the time to photograph and upload it till today.

On the whole, I'd say it could've been a lot better and it probably needs a little more colour (Hey! That rhymes!).

But what the hell, I certainly had fun with it! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Roz Foster said...

What a dreamy image and magical advice. I love her newspaper wings!

11:34 PM  
Blogger tiffini elektra x said...

This is beautiful! What a sweet picture and her wings are fantastic! Oh and I love the stars coming down to her hands!

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what a beautiful paingint you made with all your senses. I'm impressed, and loved reading about your process, that is allways fun to do.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?