Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Illustration Friday : Smoke

When I thought about this week's topic, I thought about cigarette's. I thought about different people and their smoking habits. I know people who can't stand the idea of smoking, people who hate the smell of cigarette smoke, and people who don't smoke because they're health conscious. I also know people who can't get through the day without a their minimum quota of cigarettes, people who feel the need for a smoke only when a particular mood strikes (when they're happy/frustrated/worried), and social smokers who smoke occassionally in company. Then there are the hardcore smokers who're trying to quit or the quitters who're trying not to get back into the habit.

You get the drift.

Anyhoo, I started doodling. And you can see what I ended up with below.

Hardcore smoker who swears by a good smoke versus confused smoker? Hardcore smoker versus hardcore smoker who's trying to quit? Hardcore smoker versus first-time smoker who realizes smoking is not for him?
Don't worry if you don't have an answer, I did'nt either.
Which is why I made a few changes, as you can see below.


Finally we have - Hardcore smoker versus Non-smoker!

To smoke or not to smoke, that is the question.


Er.

I'll stop blabbering now (It's one of those days).

Cheers!

10 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

I love this! It looks like it's on cardboard. The colors and thick lines are great and the subtle change of expression on the guy's face is very clever. Great job!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Michelle Lana said...

cool..and very unique!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

You really captured the struggle and duality of things! This is beautiful.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Michele Melcher Illustration said...

Love the illustration. Nicely done!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cool design!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

This is really cool.

1:18 AM  
Blogger ° said...

nice illo and commetary

2:46 AM  
Blogger Jeope said...

Nuts to the interpretations, this is a kickass piece of work(s). Beautifully nonsensical. Good job.

9:55 PM  
Blogger heretic said...

Super duper job. I'd know about the strife, having been on both sides with great intensity for considerable periods. Duality is the right word. :-)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Roz Foster said...

Nice. That looks like exactly how I felt while I was quitting back in 1999.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?