Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday : Think BIG

Most of my art work, be it on paper or the computer, is usually a standard A4 size. The maximum size of paper I've worked on so far is around size A2, which was also the only size of paper I had on hand when I sat down to work on the 'Inspire Me Thurs' challenge this evening. But working on even the A2 size seemed like cheating, as it was'nt something I'd never tried before. Thought about it some and realized that all my artwork is of standard size. So why not try to make it taller or wider? After all, it was one of the suggestions that accompanied the challenge. So I cut the A2 size (slightly bigger actually) chart sheet into a 70 inchesX30inches format.

Now we come to the idea for the painting. I've been down with a head cold for the last 2 days. Still am. Stayed home from college, but
could'nt stay away from the comp in between periods of rest. Hey, it helped distract me from the stuffy nose and sore throat :). Was fiddling around with the look of the blog in the morning and in the process, decided to make a new header. Ended up with the header above. It took 2 min to make it in Photoshop and at the time of posting, I was pretty ambivalent about it. I neither loved nor hated it. But the the longer I looked at it, the more I liked it. So in the evening, when I decided to work on the 'Inspire Me Thurs' challenge, I figured I'd try the same design by hand.

The result is here for you to see.



70 in X 30 in, Oil Paints on Chart paper

So how did I take my art to new heights with this challenge? Well, its the first time I've worked on this format. It is wider and taller than my work usually is. And more importantly, this is my very first totally abstract painting! (Hoorah! Never thought of myself as an abstract kinda person :D) . So I did try something new, for which I'm happy. And I must say, I hav'nt enjoyed painting something by hand (as in non-digitally) so much in a long while.

:)

Cheers.

P.S: If you've seen any of my illustrations featuring Libby, and would like to read a story based on some of those illo's, go here - 'The Libby Story'. :) (Feedback would be much appreciated.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like very much colors. Sunset on the sea,sky blazing...Summer!
Beautiful!

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that's HUGE! Love your bright bold colors and your courage to go so big!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?